Thursday, August 14, 2008

Are you smarter than a second grader?

I hope so, because apparently I am not. The other day Josh came home with a comprehension test. The teacher asked us to review it with our children. It had a short story at the top. So we read the story about Mrs. Young's 2nd grade class that went on a field trip to the zoo, where they saw a bunch of monkeys playing. The first question Josh got wrong, because he did not read all the answer choices. He marked the answer as Mrs. Young's 1st grade class instead of her 2nd grade class. So I explained how he needed to read all of the choices before making his decision. We get to the last question, it ask where does Mrs. Young's class go next. So I quickly scan the story for the answer and it does not say and I say to Josh, "how do you know the answer it is not in the story?" Let me just tell you this was not one of those questions meant to get him to answer because I already know the answer. I truly had no idea. He looks at me and says with a smile on his face, "well Mom whales aren't at the zoo, dinosaurs are extinct and cavemen aren't around anymore, so it has to be the tigers." Oh of course it does. That just made Josh's day. I have to say, although I felt really stupid, I was so proud of Josh and his logical thinking!

No comments: